Thursday, April 18, 2013

A third set of teeth

Raven did not stay long. His dance, my participation and introducing Max was enough for everyone. I heard the loud deep caws above me and watched as the silver-wings of Raven's feathered cape soared after an eagle hungry for my neighbor's favorite duck. The even louder ruckus of Maha's crowing hens was an alert. Spring is Eagle Season ... they are hungry and there aren't many fish. Maha's small birds were stalked as soon as it was light. Max was more in tune and accepting of Nature. I would need a lifetime to learn the lesson; my North Node is in Taurus.

"Where is your North Node, Uncle?" I think the question surprised the usually unflappable Max who is rarely speechless though always thoughtful in his responses. Saturn's messenger knows about time and this was an opportunity to mine. I sat on the bench along the path between Maha's place and mine. Max joined me.

"Gemini. My lessons have been about learning to painstakingly listen to what people are really saying. Not an easy lesson, I tell you that." 

"Amazing. You seem so comfortable with listening, and make me comfortable asking even though I was kinda surprised at myself for ask. North Node stuff is deep destiny. You're all about Saturn, and I'm learning to live with long term lessons. Hina messages are different more watery, feminine I guess. It's taken me almost sixty years to understand what the North Node offers me." This was an unexpected opportunity. But, maybe not so unexpected. I remembered these were the 'Ole Moons. Good time to review the long and the short. I stopped talking and breathed. Waited.

"Hmmm ... Pale Wawae I've been around for many, many, Earth years. Few people alive today know that humans are capable of living long enough to have a third set of teeth," Max stopped and with softened eyes drew his mouth into that famous toothless smile. "I am just starting that third set. Nihohuna. Hidden teeth, or if you like the other definition, 'teeth of the kahuna.' This story will wind through time Pale, so are you comfortable here?" The baby was growing quickly already my lower back was pressed by the weight of the boy. The bench was hard, but the air fresh and yes, I was comfortable. I nodded and closed my eyes to hear the rest of the story.

"I was born during the times of the high kapu when the world was governed by rules and protocol that kept a precious balance between water, land, air, and kanaka. No separations, each affected and still does affect the other. My family and my personal kuleana was far from that of being kahuna. But, closer than others I was born into family with chiefly lineage. We were responsible to the farmers, the fisherpeople, the maka'ainana. To be moi, meant you are father to all who lived on the land. You cared for them, they planted food, fished, maintained the kapus and everyone lived in pono. You know this about our Hawaii."

My eyes opened when I heard Max pause. His large hands held his jaw then cupped his lips as he breathed into them. "Part of the kapu system required the building of heiau, places for worship and places to observe time-space-distance. Kahuna tracked the turning of the heavens and the positions of the heavenly bodies. The records were kept here," Max pointed to his head, "and remembered here." Max pointed to his heart and his gut (his gut first). "When the kapu was enforced sacrifices were made, human sacrifice, when the heiau were built. In addition, it was common for moi or ali'i to sacrifice an eye or mash out their teeth to add to the mana of the ceremony. There was no hesitating and no questioning."

I knew where Max's story had taken me, and felt the weight of the lesson being shared with me. "Seasons over time, Pale Wawae. The Kapu System preserved a season of time for our people at the time. We can look back with memory, and uncover the hidden meanings as more and more children and growing adults learn and know the language. New story. My work, my job over time has been to remain embodied ... don't you love language. I love that word. I live in the stories of those like you who search for meaning and embody what you find in art. You dare to cross borders and tell about them in many ways. Pale, you are hapai at 65!"

"Yes, and I must get up and walk or you'll have to carry me down to Maha's place." We both stood, Max offering his strong arms to pull me upright. "I record stories, and wrestle with that South Node that wants to be famous and admired by all and others ... and it is never enough. But I'm adjusting and finding comfort in the stories I tell for myself. Slowly. Hearing you today Uncle I see the relative space time embodies. I don't know that I want to be in this body long enough to have a third set of teeth, but maybe that's as long it takes to learn some lessons." I was laughing now, a rolling belly laugh. Then, I felt water pooling at my ankles.

Continue reading here ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!