Thursday, March 27, 2014

Playing with the process of writing

"Print is predictable and impersonal, conveying information in a mechanical transaction with the reader's eyes. Handwriting, by contrast, resists the eye, reveals its meaning slowly, and is as intimate as skin." - Ruth Ozeki, A Tale for the Time Being

"
WHY write by HAND? what is it connected to? WHAT moves it? what is a hand? A BODY in MOTION IS MOVED BY .....There is a STATE OF MIND WHICH is NOT accessible by thinking IT SEEMS TO REQUIRE A PARTICIPATION WITH SOMETHING like a pen like a pencil ..." - Lynda Barry, WHAT IT IS

I'm in the middle of playing with The Joy Weed Journal, looking and listening in particular to how a story is printed (as on a computer) or written by hand (as a personal journal would be written). If you've read The Journal before, it is possible you notice the change in the font. I'm playing with it considering what Ruth Ozeki writes "Handwriting resists the eye, reveals its meaning slowly ..." Reading the script font is slower to get To some readers, the myth and the language of medicine stories is equally slower to get. I wonder about that. I'm not really trying to make it make difficult to read my stories, really! As the New Moon in Aries approaches I'm juggling the way I tell stories and perhaps address some of the questions like these posed by mystical physician Christine R. Page:

  • What dreams or fantasies am I holding onto that will never be fulfilled?
  • Where am I giving love in the delusional belief that it will be reciprocated?
  • What expectations do I carry that can never be fulfilled?
  • Where am I still attached to my own stories from the past because they evoke emotions such as anger, pain, disappointment, and shame?
  • What seeds of wisdom do I need to glean from the situation that will allow me to move on?
Questions that might clear my creative womb where stories live, or die, before moving on with the cycle of getting on with things ... a cycle that sometimes rushes forward without attending to the protocol of slowly being in the time being.

How does it feel to read this script-y font on a computer screen? I'd love to know. 

Update: I've returned the spript-y font to a printed one. Thank you Renee for your comment. More time for play in other ways. 

1 comment:

  1. Scripty font asks me to slow down. Your writing for me is not difficult to read but is VERY rich.
    Scripty makes me want to rush through the story for some reason, as if someone is going to pull the story out from my eyes.

    Your writing already has so many turns and cracks and portals.
    Scripty is opening up yet another portal with 3D glasses hanging at the entrance.

    hmm not a bad thing, if i slowed down...

    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!